Wristmeetrazor - Misery Never Forgets Review



Metallic Hardcore is a genre that I am not too well versed in, with the only band that keeps in my constant rotation being Converge. In fact, I can only name Hatebreed, Integrity, and Harm’s Way as other artists of the genre, and frankly I don’t even know if those properly fit into this category. So this is going to be an outsiders look on the side of that subgenre, but there is someplace else we must discuss. Nu Metal. Now I know, and I agree. Nu metal? In 2019? Honestly, I cannot name a band that still plays a true nu metal style today. Maybe Limp Bizkit is still doing the same thing? My only real interactions with the genre come from Slipknot, Deftones, and Disturbed, with the first two evolving far from this mid-90s genre tag, and the latter serving as a laugh inducing mess. So where does this connect with metallic hardcore. Well, it really shouldn’t in my opinion, and I didn’t think I would want to, or need to listen to something along these lines, but here we are.

Wristmeetrazor (I know, it’s a little too emo for me too, trust me) is a three-piece screamo nucore band that has shocked me. This album is short, aggressive and, interesting. Interesting in the way that the “screamo nucore” genre tag is. Those, at least to a narrow minded plebian like myself, should not go together, as stated earlier. I am going to be completely honest when I say I hear 3 distinct sounds that are absolutely blatant in their representation; those being Converge, Slipknot, and the screamo genre as a whole (I apologize in advance, I do not know much about the genre, and therefore, can’t really give a great take on it.) This could be cool, you might say. And I agree. I would like to see it pulled off. But as of now, I have yet to. This 9 track, 20 minute LP, entitled Misery Never Forgets was hard to listen to on my first spin. Generic metalcore riffs with samples and shouty vocals that need to be mixed much lower to be effective did not appeal to me. However, I found myself coming back to this album, and in doing so, I listened a bit closer, and my opinion did change. Somewhat.

The first song, “Loathsome”, is less than two minutes, and shows everything you will hear on this album. It begins with a few held out chords, and some, *sigh*, spoken samples. This then quickly turns into a slow-chugging riff with screamed vocals on top, with pinch harmonics to boot. This then quickly transitions into a pretty pummeling section with perhaps the only well performed nu metal vocals on here. While the instrumentals pummel away, harsh Jacob Bannon screams devolve into lo-fi edgy whisper snarling that modern metalcore bands have been heavily criticized over. The vocalist of this band is quite impressive in his range but executing is not his strong suit. The harsh vocals return, and some of the Corey Taylor speak singing makes its first appearance. This whole amalgamation of sound ends in the worst way possible; with the lead singer coughing into the mic, much like the aforementioned Slipknot vocalist does on the final track on their debut album, “Scissors”, where after a grueling 8 and a half minutes of absolutely giving it all to the mic, Taylor basically pukes on the mic, and it sounds horrific and epic all at the same time. I wish I could say the same for our Wristmeetrazor vocalist here. Not only are the multiple coughs layered, but they are just too heavily produced to sound genuine, or impactful. Much like most of this album, the band has good ideas, but fails to fully flesh out everything in just a short amount of time. This song is a perfect example of what the band is trying to do on this album, which unfortunately, fails on most levels.

“In Line For Halos” begins with a short sample, and actually starts off with a really strong riff with good harsh vocals. Its chugs, it grooves, it seems like maybe this is where the album is really beginning. The spoken bits just before the breakdown sound good and well placed, and the song picks up just when it needs to. I am sure when I say the first half of this song is where this band truly shines, and this is with a solid modern metalcore sound. It then breaks down, and more spoken word plops itself in over a new riff. This builds with the rest of the instrumentation, and clean vocals break into the fold, and break they do. These do not sound good, and while the off-pitch and airy vocals do provide a bit of “atmosphere” to the section, they fortunately do not last too long. The main riff comes back, and the prime of this band returns. This is a formula we will return to repeatedly with this album.

“Insecurity Checkpoint” is a highlight among the track list, with a VERY Converge-esque riff, vocals and drums to boot. However, the screamo edge does come through, but sounds ok against the instrumentation. This song is very simple and is probably the best written and best performed cut on Misery Never Forgets. The only thing to criticize in this track is the very last vocal line. The words “I’m coming home” are spoken, and it keeps the vibe of the track up high. But then, perhaps the worst moment of the entirety of the album rears it ugly head. This comes in the repetition of that phrase, but in a horrible deathcore or screamo vocal, that frankly made me visibly scowl. This vocal makes me cringe. HARD. And I will say that this tarnishes the track, because up until this point, “Insecurity Checkpoint” is a solid, although short modern metalcore track.

The next two songs, “Come on in, The Water’s Pink” and “Goodbye Sweet Betty” are quite oddly placed in the track listing. The first begins slow with a build that is very similar to Slipknot’s “Gently”, in terms of pure progression at least, but much less epic and intense. The vocals, guitars and drums all sound good, but it also sounds somewhat lazy and reserved. For a song like this, I require a bit more intensity as a payoff. It’s ok for what is, but your second to longest track shouldn’t be of the atmospheric variety. The later song begins with a dissonant wailing synth that brings it guitars halfway through its length, and its puzzling to me why this band decided to put two “filler” tracks right next to another. Regardless, it provides a needed break into this album, and yes that’s only 3 songs in.

“Xoxo (Love Letter from a Loaded Gun)” is another highlight on the album, and this is probably the track where every element this band is trying to incorporate really comes together. The screamo vocals sound good, the Deftones-esque cleans fit well, the instruments are engaging, its hooky, but again far too short. The most glaring problem with this album is easily its runtime. Standing at 20 minutes for 9 tracks, there just isn’t room to fully explore all the ideas that this new band is trying to flesh out. And unfortunately, the problem that arises is in quick snippets of songs that could evolve into something great, but do not.

“He Smiled From Ear to Ear” and “Expiry Date: 12 Hours” are both tracks that use clean vocals better than the previous, but are unfortunately so far late in the album that they become just as forgettable as the songs prior. However, I think they are much more fleshed out than the rest of the songs on this album. I wish I could say more about these songs, but there isn’t much to say.

“No More Blue Tomorrows” is a good closing track. It has the same progression as basically every other metalcore closing track, but it fits the bill, and the verse after the first breakdown is awesome. Is it the best way to end an album like this, no. Does it make up for the rest of this album’s huge faults, no. This album is not good, but it has a lot of good ideas. Maybe if this band decides to create longer songs, they might increase the listenability of this album. Honestly, I don’t know how to feel. At this point, this album isn’t good, but it could be. Wristmeetrazor has made my current least favorite album of the year, and I hope it stays that way. I hate to start of the year with such a negative review, but hey, February has a lot of good stuff lined up. Here’s to hoping.

Overall Score: "I'll have you to choose, if I suffer or live forever"
Favorite Songs: Xoxo (Love Letter From A Broken Gun), Loathsome?

Comments